I am no longer posting on this blog. I have a new political blog called The Burning Itch, which is updated regularly.
July 27, 2007
Top 10 Alberto Gonzalez Quotes
Alberto Gonzalez has been taking his lashings in Congress and on national news due to his ability, or inability as it may be, to testify honestly. To honor Mr. Gonzalez's terrific service to his country, here are ten of his best quotes.
10) "We're talking about the lawyers for the United States of America. And I think it's very, very important that the lawyers be comfortable being very candid and open about their views on very sensitive issues affecting the United States."
9) "I want to be clear. No company is too big to be prosecuted, ... We have zero tolerance for corporate fraud, but we also recognize the importance of avoiding collateral consequences whenever possible."
8) "We're...looking very closely at the issue of fraudulent charities. We're looking at price gouging. I've asked the lawyers in the Department to be as aggressive and to be as creative within the bounds of the law to ensure that people do not take advantage of the situation in this tragic circumstance."
7) "Some in this country mistakenly believed it could not happen here, ... Today we have chilling evidence that it is possible."
6) "Justice must serve offenders and victims as well as the economy and the general public,"
5) "To preserve the integrity of our free market economy, individuals who defraud American businesses and consumers by participating in international price-fixing conspiracies will be prosecuted and sent to prison no matter where they live or where they commit the crime."
4) "I don't think you should be disqualified from being considered for an important position simply because you have a relationship with the person making the decision on who to nominate. You have to look first at a person's qualifications."
3) "I'm primarily worried about what does the president think,"
2) "There is no express grant of habeas corpus in the Constitution"
1) "I do not recall."