New Blog

I am no longer posting on this blog. I have a new political blog called The Burning Itch, which is updated regularly.

February 16, 2007

Anti-war = Anti-troop?

Almost everyone I know is against the occupation of Iraq, similar to the majority view of America. I, myself, am against the way the occupation is being handled. Basically, we should either be there to win or be pulling out, and we don't have the support at home to win the war, so we should be pulling out. But that is not the point I'm trying to make.

Many conservatives on the floors of Congress, and elsewhere, have said that not supporting the war is the same as being against the troops. I just don't buy this argument. A lot of my friends are against the war because they are sick of our soldiers getting killed and maimed for what they believe is a unnecessary cause.

I personally have a problem with this argument because I have friends and family over in Iraq and I don't want them to be harmed whether that means pulling them out or putting the necessary number of troops in. So am I anti-troop because I want to see the ones I care about come back in one piece? I would say no. Therefore, most of the people against the war for the same reason are not anti-troop, they are simply against a war that was poorly planned and executed.

No comments: